Sunday, October 21, 2007

It Doesn't Get Better Than This

Unless you're a rabid sports fan like myself, it's probably hard to appreciate the nerves I'm feeling right now - less than two hours before Game 7 of the ALCS begins. I'm not playing, just watching - my life will not be altered, other than my mood come Monday morning, but I've spent the last 6+ months with the Red Sox; spent many an evening together. As a fan, you invest a lot, and as a Red Sox fan your mood can change pitch-to-pitch and game-to-game. There have been many memorable moments this season, but last night's J.D. Drew grand slam in the first inning might top the list (until tonight I hope).

Here the
Sox had load the bases, with Manny Ramirez due up - he battles a tough at bat but strikes out, and then Lowell pops out on the first pitch. #*$!% Guess who is coming up? The 'Grim Reaper' himself ... J.D. Drew. Pretty much the last guy a Sox fan would want up in such a situation; I couldn't stomach the thought of seeing them load the bases with no out and then not score, and of course, before Drew stepped in the box, I'd made my mind up that they weren't going to score. With the count 3-1 I was just hoping for a walk - PLEASE, just walk ... don't swing. Now since we were all out at dinner I saw Drew swing, and I saw Sizemore retreat, but I didn't know the ball went out of the ballpark until I saw Drew triumphantly running around the bases. I jumped out of my seat at the restaurant and screamed and cheered in delight. All I could say was, "Holy sh*t - I can't believe J.D. Drew hit a grand slam!"

I was awesome - all I wanted as a fan was to them bring it back to Boston, and they did behind Beckett, and now Schilling & Drew had ensured
Fenway would see it's first deciding game since Game 7 of the 1986 ALCS, where the Sox topped the California Angels 8-1.

It's our series now - Cleveland had their chance and I'm ready to see a
Fenway Champagne Party tonight, and hopefully another "jig" from Papelbon.

Bring it home boys - do it for Cameron ... GO
SOX!

No comments: