Monday, October 15, 2007

No More Gagne! PLEASE

This is what it means to be a fan – look forward to a game all day, live and die with every at bat, pitch and ball put in play … only to stay up until 1:15am and see them self-destruct. You know what? It comes with the territory. Honestly, if being a fan ALWAYS meant winning, where would the drama be? It would be nonexistent. That being said, when I watch the Sox I want them to win every game – I just know they’re not, but it’s the journey that is more fun than anything.

That is why I remember saying to Kim last year that the 2003 heartbreaking ALCS loss was better than watching the Sox implode last year in AUGUST! The journey ended way too soon.

NEVERTHELESS – back to Game 2. As soon as I saw #83 prepare to enter the game I almost considered going to bed because I couldn’t dare to watch what Mr. Eric Gagne pitch again this year. So I didn’t go to bed, I just put on a movie and kept track of the game on ESPN.com (it was better than watching). Before I knew it, the computer showed runners on 1st and 2nd with one out and we know what happened from there. The Indians collection of ‘Dregs of Society’ relief pitchers (this night, only consisting of one – Tom Mastny) retired the Sox 3-4-5 hitters in order in the bottom of the 10th. Our ‘Dregs of Society’ relief pitchers allowed seven runs in the top of the 11th. And by D.O.S I mean, the guys you don’t normally trust in tight, crucial game but due to the circumstances, you’re given no choice. Personally, I would’ve preferred to see Jon Lester emerge from the bullpen – I know he wound up giving up a homerun too in the 11th, but what must have been going through Gagne’s mind as he entered the game? There are 37,000+ people in Fenway and millions of Sox fans watching on TV EXPECTING him to fail, and he did just that. We’re running out of season left for Francona to say, “Hey, we’re going to need this guy at some point – we need to get him right.” I could accept that answer in August, maybe even early September, but you know what, it ain’t gonna happen.

Eric Gagne used to be ‘must watch relief pitching.’ With the baseball package, anytime I was watching baseball lying in bed late night, I always checked out the Dodger game because when he came into a game, it was an event. He was so good, so efficient, so dominating that he truly was on another level. I know Rivera is probably the best ever, and Eck was as good as anyone, but regular season wise, I don’t know if anyone has ever been as good as Gagne was from ’02 – ’04. Now I knew we weren’t getting that guy, I don’t think any Sox fan expected that … but I didn’t expect a Canadian version of Ricky Vaughn.

I know teams normally make July 31st deadline deals to shore up the team and ensure a postseason birth, but the Gagne deal almost worked completely opposite. I remember four games specifically (two in Baltimore, one at home vs. Anaheim and one in Toronto) that he blew – the Sox could’ve clinched a week earlier if they HADN’T dealt for Gagne … it’s not supposed to work that way! It’s hard for me to recall a deal that blew up this badly for a team at the trade deadline. I remember watching Gagne’s first game with the Sox at my Uncle’s house in CT – I was really excited; he came against the O’s (I think they had a four run lead or so) and he got banged around for a few hits and a run, but I wasn’t very concerned. Then I saw him pitch again in Seattle over the weekend – same idea … way too many baserunners. Thankfully he didn’t cost the Sox either game, but that would change very soon.

In 21 innings with Boston, Gagne has a 7.29 ERA and 1.95 WHIP – absolutely abominable numbers. There’s no way to survive in Boston with numbers like that, where a Nation is expecting failure. I don’t envy his emotional turmoil right now, but I also don’t want to see him pitch again. I’m sure he’s a great guy, has a lot of people who love him … I’m not here to bash the person, only the pitcher – and as a pitcher, I look forward to never having to see him pitch for my Sox again.

No comments: